Rick Altman ed. 1992
Sound Theory Sound Practice.
- Rick Altman "General Introduction: Cinema as Event"
- Rick Altman "The Material Heterogeneity of Recorded Sound"
- Part 1: Theoretical Perspectives
- Rick Altman "Introduction: Four-and-a-half Film Fallacies"
- Rick Altman "Sound Space"
- Jim Lastra "Reading, Writing, and Representing Sound"
- Steve Wurtzler "She Sang Live, but the Microphone was Turned Off: The Live, the Recorded, and the Subject of Representation"
- Michel Chion "Wasted Words"
- Part 2: Historical Speculations
- Rick Altman "Introduction: Sound / History"
- Alan Williams "Conversion to Sound"
- Natasa Durovicova "Translating America: The Hollywood Multilinguals 1929-1933"
- John Belton "1950s Magnetic Sound: The Frozen Revolution"
- Part 3: Neglected Domains
- Rick Altman "Introduction: Sound's Dark Corners"
- Amy Lawrence "Women's Voices in Third World Cinema"
- Scott Curtis "The Sound of Early Warner Bros. Cartoons"
- Mary Pat Klimek "Imagining the Sound(s) of Shakespeare: Film Sound and Adaptation"
- Jeff Ruoff "Conventions of Sound in Documentary"
- Andrea Truppin "Let There Be Sound: The Films of Andrei Tarkovsky"
- Rick Altman "Afterword: A Baker's Dozen of New Terms for Sound Analysis"